Aboriginal Health and Medical Research Council NSW
Cancer Forum Facilitation and synthesis of key findings for NSW Cancer Plan
Cox Inall Ridgeway was asked to facilitate a forum and discussion to gain consensus on key recommendations and areas for inclusion in the NSW Cancer Plan reflective of Aboriginal peoples care and needs.
The purpose of the Forum was to further understand Aboriginal cancer programs and priorities across NSW, and provide recommendations to inform the next NSW Cancer Plan.
Objectives of the Forum were to:
- Support existing Aboriginal cancer networks across NSW in sharing and informing conveners of effective programs relating to Aboriginal cancer care; and
- Identify areas of priority regarding Aboriginal cancer control and strategies for addressing priorities in the future.
The Forum brought together representatives including Aboriginal community members / cancer survivors, Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services, Aboriginal health organisations, Local Health Districts and other key organisations involved in Aboriginal cancer care.
The main areas focused on at the forum were:
- Changes required to health workforce to ensure optimal cancer support for Aboriginal people
- Improving access to appropriate palliative care; and
- Raising awareness about cancer, with a focus on men’s cancers and bowel screening.
Within each topic area, there was showcasing of different programs and models of care; and interactive feedback sessions through which participants identified future strategies and goals. Key areas identified for inclusion in the NSW Cancer Plan were provided to AH&MRC to submit to the Cancer Institute for consideration in the development of the NSW Cancer Plan.