Empowering Young Women and Men to Lead Change Program
The Empowering Young Women and Men to Lead Change Program was developed by Yatu Widders-Hunt and Harpreet Kalsi to build resilience and confidence of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people to reflect on their life journey so far and take time in a supported environment to vision what they want their future to look like and take action towards making this a reality.
The project was run with 15 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young women and men in Yallara as part of the Tjungu Festival over 4 days. During this time, we ran activities that focused on:
- Building resilience and confidence
- Getting excited about what they want their future to look like in a supported environment,
- Hearing stories of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait program mentors, the challenges they have faced and what has kept them strong
- Learning about important issues that may affect participants such as body image, self-esteem and staying strong
- Participating in a community fashion parade and being mentored by Samantha Harris
The results of the program were evident through the posts and expression of participants on social channels.